Top 10 tips for preventing condensation and mould
1. Open the windows in all rooms every day (at least 30 minutes) and wipe down any condensation on the windows.
2. Keep the trickle vents on your windows open at all times and don’t block any permanent air vents in the wall.
3. Allow space for air to circulate around your furniture – at least 12.5cm. Position furniture and goods against internal walls.
4. Except for during and after bathing or showering, leave all the internal doors open to allow the air to circulate.
Bathing & showering
5. Keep the bathroom door closed. When you are finished, open the window or put the extractor fan on, and keep the door closed for at least 30 minutes.
6. Avoid long, steamy baths and showers. Put the cold water in first for a bath. Showers – many water companies suggest 4 minutes is sufficient.
7. When cooking, close the kitchen door and open a window or turn on your extractor fan, and put lids on all pans. Don’t leave kettles boiling.
8. Put washing outdoors to dry. If you have to dry clothes inside, put them on a rack by a window or in the bathroom, shut the door and open the window.
9. If you use a vented tumble dryer instead make sure you vent it properly to the outside, preferably through a permanent vent in the external wall; if you use a condenser tumble dryer, make sure you open the window and close the door to the room.
10. A low even heat for a long time is better than putting heaters on high for a short period. Try to avoid the temperature dropping under 15oC.