Before attending your Work Capability Assessment, it may help to read Citizens advice on Preparing for your ESA medical assessment
Here are the main dos and don’ts to be aware of
– Don’t ignore it! It’s not going to go away and could cause you to lose ALL your benefits
– Do attend the assessment. If you don’t go, the DWP will assume that you’re fit for work and stop your claim.
– Do notify the assessment centre if you are unable to make appointment. You can ask for a different location which might be easier for you to get to. You can get support towards your transport costs (refer to the Citizens Advice article above)
– Do take a friend or family member to support you if you think this could help.
– Do take ALL medical evidence. The main reason for failure is lack of medical proof. The more evidence you have the better your case.
If you fail to attend your appointment/s, not only will your income benefits stop, your housing benefit and council tax support will also stop. If this has happened to you or you think it might, please contact us as soon as possible as we will be able give initial support and if necessary refer you to external agencies.